Gooood Morning! I hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing Sunday. I know I am!
Today I wanted to talk a little bit about supplements. While I strive to get the majority of my nutrients through plenty of nutritious, real foods, I know how easy it is to still come up short in some areas. One can only eat so much in a day!
Here is what’s hanging out in my cabinet:
I buy the Jarrow brand with 5 billion organisms per capsule. What’s cool about this probiotic in particular is that it is enteric-coated and doesn’t have to be refrigerated like most all other probiotic products do. I have seen this one in various health foods stores as well as online. The best price I have found online is at The Vitamin Shoppe. I typically take 1-2 capsules per day. (1 in the morning, 1 at night.)
Health Benefits of Probiotics:
- promotes healthy bacteria in the colon
- strengthens immune system
- helps make your body strong enough to fight off sickness and even prevent it all together
- promotes regularity
- improves nutrient bioavailability for B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, and others
I also just recently picked up this chewable probiotic by Nature’s Sunshine:
It’s a fun way to get your probiotics in if you sometimes have a tough time swallowing pills, like me. Or you can just take them because they taste like cotton candy. 😉 However, it doesn’t have as high of a probiotic content as the Jarrow capsules, so you may need to take more.
Yes, I still take the same Flintstones multivitamin that I have taken since I was a kid. This one still has everything I need, so I roll with it. Plus, like I mentioned, I prefer chewable if I can get them that way because swallowing pills isn’t my greatest talent. I take 1 pill per day.
A multi-vitamin is a great place to start for supplements. It helps to cover all bases and keep you in tip-top condition. This was my first supplement. I slowly added in these other ones over time.
I take the Nature’s Plus adult chewable brand, which I get from The Vitamin Shoppe. I love the Maui flavors of this one! For this, I take 1-2 per day. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble nutrient, so it is best absorbed when paired with a little healthy fat. Perfect excuse to take a dip in the peanut butter jar, no? 😀
Health Benefits of Vitamin D:
- boosts immunity and ability to prevent/fight off sickness
- helps absorb calcium
- builds and maintains strong bones
- blood pressure regulation
- can help treat mild depression and anxiety
- improve mood, especially in the winter time when exposure to the Sun is lower
- reduce stress
- aids in weight loss/management
I buy my fish oil capsules as Sam’s Club in bulk. You can buy them pretty much anywhere though. When choosing a fish oil supplement, Dr Oz recommends reading the label and finding the TOTAL Omega-3 amount. He says you want to have 500 mg of total omega-3 per serving.
Health Benefits of Fish Oil:
- improved blood circulation
- helps treat mild depression and anxiety
- good over-all brain health
- may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease
- anti-inflammatory properties
- good for your promoting healthy, supple skin
This biotin supplement I got at Walmart. I take 2-3 biotin tablets per day, with dinner, or your biggest meal to help with absorption.
Health Benefits of Biotin:
- good product for hair health: faster growing, thicker, shinier
- good product for skin health: makes my skin bright, glowy, and clear
- It is a B-vitamin, which is good for managing moods, depression, and anxiety
Airborne is something I keep in stock at my house, just as a preventative measure. They can be bought at mostly any grocery store, Walmart, etc. They are all-natural and made up of vitamins, herbs, and minerals. I do not take one every day. I only take one if I know I’m going to be exposed to a lot of germs (babysitting, for example) or right when I feel a cold or other sickness coming on. I have found that it really does work, IF I use it correctly, meaning I have to take it RIGHT at the first sign of sickness, or before being exposed to germs.
Health Benefits of Airborne:
- contains a special blend of immunity boosting vitamins
- helps to stop an on-coming sickness in it’s tracks before it has a chance to grow
- loaded with antioxidants
And there you have it. Hopefully you found this informative and helpful!
What is your favorite supplement?