Thank you all for the awesome feedback on the blog’s new name and look. I have to say I’m kind of proud of it. 🙂
I’m back in action here at school after taking the weekend to go home and relax…and relax I did. It felt amazing to just chill out a bit and take a break from the constant school work and activities that I’ve been doing lately. I got in some good workouts at my hometown fitness center, spent a lot of time outdoors (YAY Fall weather!!!), loved my puppy, and caught up with family. It was exactly what I needed and now I am ready to tackle a new week!
It is however, a Monday kind of day…so here are two drinks that have been pumping me up:
1. COFFFFFFFEEEEEE. Need I say more?
2. Amazing Grass is helping me out, too. Gotta keep that immune system built up! It’s germ city here in the dorms.
But back to coffee…shall we review some of the benefits?
Benefits of coffee: (source)
- increases metabolism- your morning cup of Joe can speed up metabolism by 10%
- rich source of antioxidants- both caffeinated and decaffeinated provide around the same amount
- improve short term memory- caffeine is a cognitive stimulant that actually boosts brain functioning. Furthermore, coffee reduces levels of beta amyloid, a protein in the brain that is responsible for Alzheimer’s disease
- lowers risk of certain cancers- drink 2 cups a day and slash your risk of colon cancer by 25%. Other studies have shown positive cancer prevention benefits from coffee for liver disease, skin, and breast cancer.
- reduces risk for type 2 diabetes- coffee contains chemicals that lower blood sugar making coffee drinkers half as likely to get diabetes than non-drinkers.
- good for your teeth (!!!)- Roasted coffee beans have antibacterial effects against microorganisms like Streptococcus, which play a hand in causing tooth decay. Drink coffee, prevent cavities. Perfect!
- headache prevention- WebMD explains that blood vessels increase in size during a migraine– caffeine works to decrease the size of blood vessels before they can affect nerves in the brain. So, drinking coffee in the early stages of a headache can help minimize the severity later on.
Benefits of Amazing Grass:
• Helps achieve your 5 to 9 daily servings of fruits & vegetables
• Naturally detoxifies & boosts your immune system
• The added benefits & great taste of cacao
• Complete raw food with powerful phytonutrients
• Alkaline green plant foods balance acidic pH levels
• Whole Food nutrition, no fractionated vitamins
• More organic whole leaf greens per gram than other green superfoods – not from juice
• Probiotics & Enzymes to aid digestion & absorption
• Featuring Sambazon organic pure açaí powder
• No soy lecithin fillers
I love the chocolate superfood packets or the kid’s wild berry flavor. When I do order them, it’s usually through Amazon, with the subscribe and save option. It’s the best deal I have found!
I recently had a grocery store run, aka: my favorite type of shopping. 😀 Just a few things to fill in the gaps from the cafeteria.
- Full Circle Toasted Oats cereal
- Morningstar sausage patties
- veggie cheeze
- frozen veggies
- sweet potatoes
- guac packets
- Perfect 10 Bagels (very good!)
- egg whites
- almond milk
- greek yogurt
- salmon and tuna packets
- canned chicken
We’ll see how long it lasts. 😉
Lots to do today! Better get to it.
How do you get pumped up on a Monday?