The new week has started off pretty dreary. Did anyone else get stuck with rain today?
It’s supposed to continue on tomorrow and I’m suddenly regretting not buying a pair of rain boots. At the beginning of the school year, I was told that I would need some for campus walking, but I could not bring myself to buy a pair after trying on numerous ones and feeling absolutely ridiculous. Maybe it’s just in my head because I think they look cute on everyone else!
Fortunately despite the weather, I’ve been able to have a pretty productive day including:
1. Chem lecture and study time
2. knocking out a big nutrition assignment
3. going to get my dorm release papers signed (yay!!!)
4. doing a little cardio and lower body weights workout
5. two loads of laundry being completed as I’m typing this post
Not bad to start off the week, eh?
Seeing as this weather goes hand in hand with snuggling, I am really missing my #1 snuggle buddy:
(pics sent from my mamma!)
I am continuing to count down the days until Thanksgiving Break like none other. I am so anxious to be able to go home for more than just a few days at a time. Spending a weekend at home always feels so rushed because the thought of leaving bright and early Monday morning is always looming right around the corner. I can’t WAIT to have a whole week off! And even more so, I can’t wait to have my first semester of college under my belt. It’s definitely had it’s ups and downs and I’m just ready to wrap things up and move on to bigger and better things. <like moving into my first apartment!!!
A few fun nutrition-related things have happened recently:
1. My Student Dietetics Association group got together last week to meet with the dietitian who runs our local Hyvee grocery store. She took us upstairs to a special VIP “club house” section of the store and gave us a private cooking lesson! It was very cool! She is a certified personal chef in addition to her dietitian credential and it was pretty neat to see a not-as-common way to use a dietetics degree. In addition to teaching various cooking classes (she meets weekly with a gluten-free group, weight-loss groups, children groups, and more) so also counsels individuals and then is able to walk them through the grocery store to show them exactly what kinds of things they should be buying according to what their specific dietary needs are. She explained to us that dietitians are becoming increasingly more common in grocery stores….as well as really any place or business in general. You can literally work ANYWHERE as a dietitian nowadays, even though most people automatically think of hospital jobs when dietitians come to mind; not the case at all! Back to the cooking demonstration, we made margarita pizzas with fresh roma tomatoes, fresh basil, a mixture of cheeses, pesto spread, and marinated chicken on gluten-free and whole wheat pizza crusts. One word: DELISH.
2. I finally met with the dietitian who works at the gym I work at. I am going to start working one-on-one with her and learning more about all that she does on a day to day basis. I will also be getting involved in different outreach efforts and promotions for nutrition and fitness with her help. I am so thankful to have a job in my future field of work!
Time to get some dinner! Hope everyone’s week is off to a great start!