Today I have a great recipe to share that I recently posted on my Instagram page and since it turned out to be such a winner, I decided to post it here as well. I love a good pizza but have been on the hunt for a healthier homemade version in leu of your traditional take-out fare.
I have been incorporating plantains into my diet for several months now and am loving their versatility. Their starchy content lends a wonderful bread-like texture, allowing one to make countless grain-free good from brownies to breads to….pizza crusts!
What is so good about plantains anyway?
In addition to the list above, green plantains contain resistant starch. Resistant starch is a type of starch that is not digested in the stomach or small intestine, thus reaching the colon intact. It then acts as prebiotic in our intestinal tract, feeding the “good” bacteria and therefore improving gut health! Pretty neat, huh? And since 80% of our immune system is in our gut, it is especially important to keep it running properly during this cold and flu season!
Okay, so on to the recipe.
Plantain Pizza Crust
A delicious grain free, thin crust pizza that will please even the pickiest of eaters!
Serves 1-2. Recipe can easily be doubled for a more regular-sized pizza
- 1 large green plantain
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp each of unrefined sea salt, garlic powder, and italian seasonings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor and run until a completely smooth batter is formed.
- Pour batter onto a silicone baking sheet (or parchment-lined baking sheet) and spread around into a very thin circle.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Take out and top with your desired sauce and toppings.
- Place back in the oven and broil for another 5 minutes, until done to your liking.
- Slice and devour!
I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!